Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Community Colleges are the "Hidden Gems"

Education is the key to success. This is pounded into our heads from the time we start school. If you want a better job that makes a lot of money, make sure you have a college degree. Without a degree, you can only make it so far unless you know quite a bit about the field you want to work in. Today, Obama called the community colleges in the U.S. the "Unsung Heroes." Jill Biden called community colleges "one of America's best kept secrets." More and more people are going to community colleges because the cost is not as high as a university. The U.S. has fallen behind other nations in the number of college graduates. Two years ago, my son was very sick on Thanksgiving Day and he had a horrible cough. I called the doctors office and they told me to take him to the ER because he was breathing too fast. He already has asthma and we had already treated him for it, but his breathing was still too fast. So we took him to the ER and found out that he had croup. While they treated him for croup, I was talking to the nurse about wanting to be a nurse myself and going to school for it. She told me that I should go and get my CNA (Certified Nurse Aide) certification and then apply to a hospital for a Patient Care Tech. So I took her advice and looked on the Austin Community College's website and for the CNA certification class. It is a Continuing Education class. So last year I signed up for this class and was very successful in the class. Obama has set a goal for to increase the number of certificates and community college degrees by 5 million in the next decade. In my opinion, I think community college's are great for people who want a degree or certification. I think that Austin Community College is more hands on and that what I love about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment